We know affording specialist lawyers can be difficult for teachers.
Our first telephone consultation is always free. Our standard private rate is currently £150 per hour but this is not open-ended. We usually agree capped budgets in advance for each stage of the casework, so if our actual hours worked are greater than we estimated you do not pay any more.
We tend to complete regulatory, DBS and employment cases within budgets of £3k – £20k (plus VAT) for our private clients. At the low end of that range is a one day mitigation case where the facts are admitted. At the other is a two week hearing where everything is in dispute. Most cases lie somewhere in between.
In criminal cases we will set out in advance the likely costs of mounting your defence or presenting your mitigation. We will discuss which barrister is best to represent you (often from Cornwall Street Barristers) and will agree their costs beforehand. Please note that we do not offer a legal aid service for this or our other work.
You may already have cover for our legal costs through your existing home or car insurance. If proceedings have started we can act under that cover rather than use your insurer’s solicitor who may not be a specialist in teacher representation. More information about legal insurance options is on the Legal Choices website.
How we work to keep your costs down:
- We promise never to charge for work which you can and want to do yourself with our guidance. Whilst we know the law and the processes, you remain the expert on your own situation and we can provide as little or as much assistance as you need to state your case effectively.
- We never argue unnecessary points. Professionals in distress are extremely vulnerable to exploitation by representatives who litigate optimistically. In contrast we will focus on the core issues and advise clearly on what can and cannot be achieved.
- Rather than maintain expensive offices we work flexibly using email and Skype wherever possible and from Cornwall Street Barristers’ premises in Birmingham to provide national coverage to our clients.
- We do not employ junior/support staff so you will always receive our expert lawyers’ personal attention at a very competitive cost.
- We will also bill you regularly so costs never get out of hand